You Are Not Alone!
If there’s one thing we want to communicate to you, a person who’s dealing with depression or loves someone who suffers from depression, it’s that you are not alone.
Depression is one of the most common, yet most difficult mental health disorders to deal with. At New Hope Counseling, we are your partners in understanding depression and finding ways to manage the effects it has on your life and loved ones.
Statistics About Depression In America
- In 2015, an estimated 16.1 million adults aged 18 or older in the United States had at least one major depressive episode in the past year. This number represented 6.7% of all U.S. adults (National Institute of Mental Health, 2016).
- While major depressive disorder can develop at any age, the median age at onset is 32. (U.S. Census Bureau Population Estimates by Demographic Characteristics, 2005)
- Women experience depression at twice the rate of men. This 2:1 ratio exists regardless of racial or ethnic background or economic status. The lifetime prevalence of major depression is 20-26% for women and 8-12% for men. (Journal of the American Medical Association, 1996)
- Major depressive disorder is the leading cause of disability in the U.S. for ages 15-44. (World Health Organization, 2004)
New Hope Counseling Provides Effective Treatment For Depression
We understand the physical and mental pain that results from living with depression. We realize that depression can make it difficult–sometimes impossible–to move forward in your profession and relationships. We are experienced in helping people with depression of varying levels of seriousness understand more about their mental illness so that they can find relief from it.
Contact New Hope Counseling in Palatine to learn more about treatment for depression and how our counseling services can help.
Depression is a serious mental health issue that, in 2015 alone, affected more than 16 million adults in the United States. While depression is a problem that many people experience at some point, it can be difficult to determine whether or not it is a spell that will fade quickly or if you might need more help overcoming it. If you aren’t sure or you would like to talk to someone about the way you’re feeling, please give us a call at New Hope Counseling in Palatine today. We have the compassion and experience necessary to help you. Our therapists treat every patient with absolute respect and care.
Symptoms of Depression
Everyone gets the blues sometimes, but if you are exhibiting the symptoms of depression for two weeks or more, there may be larger issues that need to be confronted in order for you to come out of a major depressive episode. A major depressive episode lasts for at least two weeks and is marked by:
- feelings of sadness, despair, hopelessness
- losing interest in important parts of your life
- suicidal thoughts and actions
- an increase in reckless behaviors, including abusing drugs or alcohol
- problems eating, concentrating, or sleeping
- feeling fatigued, worthless, empty, guilty, irritable, or anxious
- physical pains that include headaches, stomach issues, aches, and cramps that just won’t go away
These are just a few of the symptoms of depression. You may experience a depressive episode in a different way than someone else because depression manifests itself differently for everyone.
Causes of Depression
There are many reasons that you may find yourself dealing with a major depressive episode, including bereavement, medical issues, substance abuse problems, job loss, troubles with relationships, or an episode can come on without an obvious cause. At New Hope Counseling, we take the time to listen to you talk about what is going on in your life and about how you feel and allow you to ask any questions that you have about the counseling that we offer. We believe it is extremely important for you to understand your treatment and to ask questions whenever you have them.
Depression affects everyone differently, and some people might not believe that their symptoms are a sign of depression. If you or the people who are close to you have noticed a change in the way that you’ve been acting, it might be a good idea to speak to someone who can help you work through them. New Hope Counseling is here to help. While you might feel uncomfortable talking to people you know, speaking with a qualified and caring counselor allows you to express yourself without fear or without feeling like you’re burdening anyone close to you.
At New Hope Counseling, we have the experience needed to help you or a loved one effectively deal with their depression. Call us today to find out how therapy for depression can help you live a happier, more fulfilling life. We also offer counseling and therapy for many other life events and issues. We can assist you with treatment for anxiety, relationship problems, family issues, PTSD, trauma, and almost anything else that puts your mental health and well-being at risk.