As children, we’re taught to trust those who are in a position of authority over us. We believe that these people have the life experience to make good decisions, and until we’re adults ourselves, we’re led to believe that we should listen to and obey what they tell us. Unfortunately, this isn’t always the case.
Those in a position of authority over us — whether it be parents, teachers, religious leaders, or employers — sometimes take advantage of their power in a way that harms us physically or emotionally. This is abuse and you don’t have to take it and you don’t have to suffer throughout your entire life because of it.
The potential for abuse doesn’t end when we become an adult, however, and it can also be perpetrated against us by people we consider peers, coworkers, boyfriends, girlfriends, spouses, and even complete strangers.
TYPES OF ABUSE
The following are recognized by mental health professionals as types of abuse that can be perpetrated against us:
- Verbal Abuse – words and body language used to criticize or belittle another person
- Psychological Abuse – (also known as mental or emotional abuse) manipulation of a person’s sense of reality and morality
- Physical Abuse – pain or the threat of pain used to intimidate and control another person
- Sexual Abuse – unwanted sexual interaction forced on another person
- Neglect – failure to provide for the basic needs of a dependent
- Hate Crimes – any type of abuse based solely on a person’s particular identity (gender, ethnicity, sexual orientation)
If you feel that you’ve experienced any of the above types of abuse, it’s important that you seek counseling from us right away. We can ensure that the trauma of abuse doesn’t affect your current or future relationships, employment, or the ability to raise children. At New Hope Counseling Service in Palatine, we specialize in helping you to overcome the trauma and shame that has been forced onto you so that you can live the life that you deserve.
Contact us to inquire about abuse and trauma therapy and counseling services today.